Recipe: Microwave Cake for 1!

Lately - I've been dying for cake. Everytime I go to the store - I think about getting cupcakes and then I get a conscience and say "Oh Heather, you don't NEED a cupcake." Then I go home and WANT A CUPCAKE!!! 

So I finally caved and tried the whole "cake in a mug in the microwave" thing. I've heard of it a million times - but just didn't think it would work. I came across this video from Instructables that had a great set of instructions.  

 
Basically you take flour, sugar, cocoa, milk, oil, egg and vanilla and mix them together (recipe at the end). The video specifically said using a large mug - I don't really have a large mug so I just went with a cereal bowl. It's not as pretty coming out of a bowl - but I just wanted some damn cake! :-)


I decided to customize my cake! The video mentions adding chocolate chips - I took it one step further and threw in some coconut! I love coconut!! I was a bit worried this wouldn't taste good without frosting so I figured I would throw some extras in to make up for it.

I know - not pretty like a cute coffee mug - but when it's 11pm and you are desperate for cake - you don't have time to find a cute coffee mug!!!! YOU NEED CAKE AND YOU NEED IT NOW!!!

Here's a peek inside the cake. I called it German Chocolate because it was really a lighter chocolate. It could be the brand of cocoa too - I had Nestle Toll House cocoa. It's very light and fluffy - I liked it! 

I will definitely make this cake again. That said - I bought some frosting today at the store. It lasts forever in the fridge - I don't think it needs a lot - but a little will be nice. I loved the addition of the coconut in the cake. I did not like the chocolate chips in the cake - it might be the chips I had but they were too dark and rich. I also think this made a LOT of cake - I will cut it in half when I make it again - when I'm craving cake - a few bites will take care of the craving. 

So here's the whole recipe (from the Instructables) with the 1/2 amounts in parenthesis:

Microwave Cake for 1
  • 4 Tablespoons flour (2 T)
  • 4 Tablespoons sugar (2 T)
  • 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa (1/2 T) (Is Toll House unsweetened?)
  • 2 Tablespoons whisked egg (see Instructables site for more options/info on egg) (1 T)
  • 3 Tablespoons milk (1 T, 1 t)
  • 3 Tablespoons oil (1T, 1 t)
  • 3 Tablespoons chocolate chips (omit)
  • 2-3 Tablespoons coconut (2 T) 
  • splash of vanilla (heck I forgot this alltogether!)

Mix all the ingredients together in cup/bowl and microwave for 1 minute & 30 seconds. When I make it again with 1/2 - I'll probably only microwave for 1 minute. 

Let me know how you customize this! 




No comments

Post a Comment