Recipe: Dunkin' Donuts Chocolate Chip Bread Pudding (for National Donut Day!)

There's only one way to celebrate National Donut Day:


They have a great offer for a free donut with the purchase of a beverage on June 5! 

Because my husband's eyes are bigger than his stomach - he always gets more donuts than he can eat. Because of that - I had a head start on donut day to see what I could whip up with the leftovers and I came up with a chocolate chip bread pudding idea! 

First - chop up leftover donuts into 8 pieces. You'll want to use glazed donuts (not cake) - but feel free to use the plain or chocolate frosted.

Next up - load your (greased) baking dish up. I have these small dishes and 3 donuts filled them. The full recipe listed below would probably fill up an 8x8 dish. After the donuts are in the dish - sprinkle on cinnamon and chocolate chips.

Then you mix together eggs, milk, cream, sugar and vanilla (french toast type of mixture) and whip that all together. Then pour over top of your donuts. I used a spoon to push them down into the egg/cream mixture and let them soak for a few minutes.


Then bake at 350 for 30 minutes for this size dish - 45-50 for an 8x8 dish. Now this isn't as beautiful as the final product - but I was making this for an appearance on Local 12/Star 64 - so I had to do the finishing touches on air.

Once it comes out of the oven - let it cool for a few minutes and then sift a little powdered sugar over the top. A lot of times people will make a sauce for bread pudding - but this is so rich - it doesn't need it! A little bit of powdered sugar is a perfect topping!!

A photo posted by Heather Johnson (@foodhussy) on


Here I am with the Local 12 crew - Sheila Gray & Bob Herzog were a blast and I can't wait to go back! As my boss recently pointed out - my mouth is ALWAYS open - so I had to keep it going (it's not like that was actually NEWS to me!)

And hey - I'd love to have you check out the video of my appearance!

So enjoy National Donut Day and grab a free donut for yourself! 


Food Hussy’s Dunkin Donuts Bread Pudding

6 cups leftover Dunkin Donuts glazed donuts (some with chocolate frosting!)
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tsp. cinnamon
½ cup semisweet chocolate chips
4 eggs, beaten
1 cup milk 
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla
Confectioners sugar

Directions
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.  Take the donuts that have been cut into chunks and spread out in an 8 inch baking pan.  Drizzle the melted butter over the donuts.  Sprinkle the cinnamon and the chocolate chips over the donuts. 

In a separate bowl, beat the eggs.  Add the milk, cream, sugar, and vanilla and mix together.  Pour this wet mixture over the donuts and allow them to soak up the goodness.  I massaged the wet mixture into the donuts to be sure it was well absorbed.

Bake for approximately 50 minutes or until golden brown.  Let cool slightly and sift a little confectioners sugar over the top. Serve! Recipe easily fills 8x8 baking dish but can also be halved for the size dish I used. 


No comments

Post a Comment