Recipe: Super Simple Quiche

I LOVE QUICHE. 

It's just so damn good - it doesn't even matter what's in it - it's like this magical food that can contain anything and still be delicious. I never had it growing up - but then - my Mom moved back to town and started making it. Woohoo to Mom!

The thing is - quiche is super simple and easy to make! First - you get a pie crust - I just use the refrigerated kind you roll out right into the pie plate. Second - lay your ingredients in the pie crust - cheese, meat & veggies. Third - mix eggs, half & half, salt & pepper in a bowl and pour on top. Last - bake!

I've taken to making a quiche on the weekend - then I have breakfast all week! The first week I made mushroom, asparagus & goat cheese quiche. SO DAMN GOOD! 

Then last weekend - I got a package of Applegate Natural Uncured Bacon in the mail and thought - QUICHE #2! I was really impressed with this bacon - I'm a bacon snob. I like my bacon cheap and fatty normally. I know - I'm the rare one. I hate crispy bacon - I think there's no flavor and it just falls apart. This bacon was really meaty and almost resembled Canadian Bacon. It's made from Pork Shoulder and has so much flavor! This bacon is also gluten and casein free.

I used Rumiano non-GMO Monterey Jack cheese, spinach, mushrooms and Applegate bacon. So good! Every day when I reheated a piece for breakfast - I'd end up with a pool of coworkers drooling! Too bad suckas - that's my quiche!


That's the bonus of quiche - you can really can't screw it up. That said - here are 5 tips for perfect quiche:

  1. Use whatever you have in the fridge - my mom once made a quiche with leftover taco soup - still the best quiche she ever made! 
  2. Saute veggies before you put them in the quiche. Be sure it's a light saute - they'll still cook in the quiche. I like to saute with butter to add a little more flavor. 
  3. Be sure to use cubed cheese - shredded gets lost in the mix - cubed cheese gets you those melty gooey bites! 
  4. Check the quiche to be sure it's done before you take it out. Our oven can be a bit wacky - I use a toothpick to check it like you would a cake - if it comes out clean - you're good! 
  5. Don't forget the eggs. Seriously - my mom did it once. She couldn't figure out why it wasn't setting up - my sister said, "uh why is it white?". Oh my Lord...


Super Simple Quiche

Ingredients: 
1 refrigerated pie crust
2 Tablespoons butter
1-2 cups sauteed veggies (mushrooms, asparagus, spinach, onions, peppers, tomatoes, broccoli, etc...)
1/2-1 cup cooked meat (bacon, sausage, hamburger, ham) 
1/2-1 cup cubed cheese (jack, cheddar, cojack, etc... - for goat cheese - just cut cube-size pieces off and scatter about)
4 eggs
1 1/2 cups half & half
Salt & Pepper

Directions: 
* Set out pie crust - needs to be at room temperature. Preheat oven to 350. 
* Heat butter in a skillet over medium heat.
* Saute veggies until softened - 3-5 minutes.
* Saute meat choice as directed.  
* Roll pie crust into pie plate. 
* Place cheese & veggies into pie crust. 
* Whisk eggs, half & half, salt & pepper in a bowl and pour over the meat, cheese & veggies. 
* Bake at 350, uncovered for 40 minutes until a toothpick comes out clean. 
* Cool quiche for 10 minutes before serving. 

Recipe inspired by frugalmomeh.com

No comments

Post a Comment